Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Travel by Metros

The first time I travelled by metro was in NewYork.. The underground stations, the wide network and the crowd that commutes using it everyday impressed me. Then I got a chance to travel by the metro trains in Tokyo. What comes to my mind when I think of the Metro in Tokyo is the crowd.. The stations are so crowded, i found it too difficult to walk and then the trains were crowed that I had to stand on one leg. Next time it was the Singapore metro. The multilevel metro stations where two lines intercepted really impressed me. They were designed in such a way that the crowd getting out or waiting for one line is completely ignorant of the crowd for the other line. The last metro trip I had was in the Delhi metro. Delhi metro is still under construction. But whereever it is done,it is upto the class of the Singapore metro. Latest trains, the metro line that is sometimes underground and sometimes outside all impressed me. But I think the people of Delhi have not started making use of it much. Or maybe I got that feeling because I travelled on a Sunday because of whiCh it might have been sparesly used. Also the fact that it doesnt cover much of the city is a reason why many people are not using it. The plans displayed at the metro stations show that the metro is planned to be completed in 2021. Then Delhi will be completely networked by the metro. Kudos to the Delhi metro but with a request.. it will be good to put some water coolers in the metro stations.It will help the travellers in the hot, dry summer..

No comments:

Post a Comment